- I5 iMac – Streaming, Video switching and video recording
- Mac Book Pro – Sound bites
- Mac mini – Skype co-hosting
- iPad – Controls the sounds bites on the Mac Book Pro
- HP PC – Monitoring of chat room and vital signs
- Edirol R-09HR digital audio recorder
- Mackie 1202-VLZ3 audio mixer
- Behringer Pro-XL distribution amplifier
- DBX 266XL Expander/Gate/Compressor
- Heil PR-40 Microphone
- Canon HV40 HD camera
- Sennheiser Pro headphones
- Wirecast 4 for video switching and streaming
- Adobe audition – Audio editing, Compression and MP3 conversion
- Sound byte for playing audio clips which is controlled from the iPad
- ID3 Tag editor from pa-software
- Feeder from reinvented software for rss creation
- Adobe Premiere Elements for Video editing
- Skype for co-hosting
- WordPress website platform
- Hostgator virtual dedicated server
- Libsyn for mp3 hosting
- blip.tv for video hosting
- Co-hosts log into the mac mini running skype. Destop Presenter is running to feed the video signal to the iMac running Wirecast. The outbound audio is feed to the Mackie mixer and through an aux send and the audio is feed back to the co-hosts. All of the audio is pre-processed by a dbx gate to sift out unwanted background noises and add a touch of compression also.
- The host in the studio talking on the heil pr-40 is directly plugged into the Mackie mixer
- We do not record directly to a computer but instead to a digital audio recorder the Edirol R-09. This eliminates having computer noise in the audio. The digital audio recorder is plugged into the tape outputs of the mixer, thus all incoming audio is feed to the audio recorder.
- Now the distribution amplifier distributes clean audio to: The headphones for monitoring, the iMac for streaming content and also to a set of external speakers.
- The finished episodes are copied off the digital recorder and edited, multi-band compressed and exported to mp3’s.
- ID3 editing is next which adds the necessary tags to the mp3 such as title, artist, comments and cover art.
- The finished mp3 is uploaded to Libsyn for hosting. Once complete the mp3 is delivered to our iphone and android apps and the enclosure is then used in Feeder.
- So what does Feeder do? We use this tool to create the necessary xml for RSS. This is the file itunes and other distributing platforms reed to deliver content.
- Final steps: A blog post is written with the show’s title, show notes and the embed code to listen to the episode off the web site.
Related Show Episodes