The face of sports is constantly changing, especially when it comes to technology and how we use it to enhance the way we follow our favorite teams and players. From the action on the field, to the technology we use as fans like high def TVs, app and now, social media. We’ll talk about the ever-changing face of sports on numerous levels with David Eckoff.
David Eckoff is the co-founder of Pickoff Sports. They develop web and mobile applications for sports fans to interact, compete and have fun with their friends. Their first game, Pickoff, launched in Alpha in December 2011. Predict game winners and challenge friends in a fun social game for sports fans. Before that he was Vice President, New Products & Innovation at Turner Broadcasting overseeing the development, evaluation and launch of new products. Priort he was Senior Vice-President at Rivals.com, the online destination for the world’s most passionate sports fans. He’s been involved in online sports, since their beginning.
1. David, I usually have a list of questions I cover with my guests for each show, but knowing you, it really isn’t necessary and I can just kind of wind you up and you’ll go.
2. First, let’s talk about your latest endeavor, Pickoff Sports
3. Is it important to get involved in more than just baseball and football?
4. Talk about you being a sports fan and getting involved in the business of sports
5. Go back to the Rivals.com days
6. Your take on social media and sports journalism today
7. The one piece of modern technology you can’t live without in your professional or personal life?
- How I got my start in online sports?
- What’s a memorable or unusual war story you can share from your time covering North Carolina and ACC basketball and football?
- What it was like running the original Rivals.com
- How did an initially small startup like Rivals.com compete with ESPN.com, the world leader in sports?
- Pioneering web streaming of game broadcasts at Real for NFL, MLB, NBA and 300+ college sports teams through CSTV.
- What brought you from a tech company in Seattle to a media company, Turner Broadcasting in Atlanta?
- Talk more about Innovating the technology of sports broadcasting for sports not otherwise on TV, at Turner Broadcasting.
- Tell us about your newest startup, Pickoff Sports. What is it and what makes it special?
- Your start up is part of the Flashpoint accelerator program at Georgia Tech. You have a huge amount of business experience already, what made you decide to have your startup part of an accelerator program like Flashpoint?
- What are some of the lessons you’ve learned about startups?
If you are doing any shopping on Amazon, use our affiliate link netcaststudio.com/amazon for all your needs. There is no extra cost to you and helps support NetCast Studio.